Shorts are a men’s summer essential that cause the most problems when trying to look sexy. The truth is a razor thin line exists between looking amazing and looking like a huge dork. With that, I’m going to go over shorts wearing rules plus a few ways you can rock shorts better. After that, I am going to show you some of my favorite ways to dress them up. Check out this other summer essentials video!
Rock your shorts better
- Nail the fit – The legs should not be too big or baggy, the leg should not be skintight, and you should be able to pinch about an inch on each side.
- Don’t wear pleats – pleated shorts are a deal-breaker. Find shorts that have a clean flat front for a better aesthetic.
- The length matters – do not wear shorts that touch your knee or cover your knee. Have at least one or two inches above your knee. Keep in mind that 5″ shorts look different on a shorter man than a taller man and are a more casual look (also for working out). 7″ shorts are better for dressing up.
- Be choosy with your colors – if you’re going to be dressing up your shorts, stick to the solid pallets. Tans, navy blue, grays, and blacks are great choices.
- Experiment with more bold and playful shorts — step outside of your style box with vibrant colors and patterns. Make sure to pair these bolder shorts with a more muted shirt. I pair my camo shorts with a black top and sneakers.
- Say ‘no’ to cargo shorts — they are a bit longer, and the pockets are bulky.
- Say ‘yes’ to jean shorts or jorts — both are stylish, and jorts look great cuffed.
- Upcycle your old jeans — create shorts from your retired denim.
- Cuff longer shorts — the cuff is an appropriate style and an easy way to shorten the length of your shorts.
- Learn to dress your shorts up and down — switch from casual to next level by simply changing shoes, belt, and/or shirt.
My favorite ways to dress up shorts
- Simple, clean summertime perfection – minimal leather sneakers + a pair of flat front tan shorts + a polo untucked. To take this outfit next level, tuck the polo in, switch out the sneakers for some loafers, and add a belt. This outfit is great for an evening out.
- Dressing up shorts for date night – with the same shorts and loafers first from the previous outfit, wear a simple t-shirt with a cardigan. If the temperature gets too warm, take off the cardigan.
- Fun and sporty summertime look – 5-in shorts with fashion sneakers and a black hoodie makes a sexy and fresh outfit.
- I’m in love with this outfit – navy suede slip-on sneakers + a navy-blue sweater + light gray shorts is playful, fun, and fresh.
- James Bond on vacation – simple black loafers and a matching belt with shorts and a polo.